Brief Introduction of PQQ
- Coenzyme concerning redox cycling identified in 1979
- Water-soluble compound (reddish brown powder)
- In daily foods and beverages
- In human tissues, organs and human milk
- NOAEL > 100mg/kg/day (rat, 90-day, oral)
- Core batteries of genotoxicity study: Negative
- Human clinical study (20 and 60mg/day): No toxicity
- Neuroprotective activity
- Anti-oxidative activity
- Mitochondrial biogenesis
- NDI(New Dietary ingredients) review accepted by FDA
(“Life Sciences Research Office” reached positive conclusion)
- Food-grade PQQ is supplied in US market only from MGC
1979Salisbury SA et al. (Nature)
& Duine JA et al.PQQ was discovered from microorganisms as a cofactor for alcohol dehydrogenases.
1987MGCStarted supplying PQQ as a reagent for research purpose
1989Killgore J et al. (Science)PQQ-deficiency symptoms in mice were discovered.
2003Kasahara T et al. (Nature)PQQ should be classified as a new B vitamin.
2008MGCNDI review accepted by FDA